Friday, 4 August 2017

What lies beneath our openness



There are quite a few things that God hates & lying lips is one of those things.Prov 6:16-19. The Heidelberg Catechism walks us through the many facets & deceptions of lies, little & big & much in-between. It is easy to become de-sensitised to sin & downplay it as humanity seems to do with ease, but here is the thing, God & His holiness doesn’t change. 

A post truth world is a step deeper into the misery & mud of a hellish culture where deception & madness rules from on high & low down with oppressive edicts. Trust & confidence erodes & in the end no one is really a survivor except evil & carnage itself. A broken humanity, one broken race shatters more. Lies are seemingly powerful & satisfying but truth is supreme in more ways than one.

The Heidelberg Catechism Lord’s Day 43
112. Q. What is required in the ninth commandment?


A. That I bear false witness against no man; wrest no one’s words; be no backbiter or slanderer; do not judge, or join in condemning, any man rashly or unheard; but that I avoid all sorts of lies and deceit as the proper works of the devil, unless I would bring down upon myself the heavy wrath of God; likewise, that in judicial and all other dealings I love the truth, speak it up rightly, and confess it; and that, as much as I am able, I defend and promote the honour and reputation of my neighbour.







.................

No comments:

Post a Comment